Poetry in Motion Sickness

Poetry in Motion Sickness- Follow me in the pursuit of my dream. Its not pretty, its not glamorous, its not fair, its Hollywood. Read about my crazy journey and laugh with me about the speed bumps along the way. I hope driving doesn't make you nauseous!!!!

Monday, March 8, 2010

I'd Like To Thank the Academy

I actually watched the Oscars yesterday for the first time in a couple of years. I know, you're probably thinking, "Aren't you an actress? Isn't it required viewing?" To be honest, I normally find them incredibly boring and a little awkward. There are inevitably, sweaty teleprompter malfunctions. The presenter stumbles over their lines and the audience politely chuckles at the actor or actress' attempt to joke their way out of the embarrassing snafu. I also get extremely uncomfortable on behalf of those who don't win. I can only imagine how it feels to be told that the most important thing to ever happen to your career has just happened to someone else's career instead. Then, to have a camera shoved in your face. You have to sit there listening to someone else's acceptance speech whilst smiling and trying not to cry. Its just too much and it ends up making my feet and palms sweat. I'd rather watch Pat Boone on PBS.

Yesterday, however, I was flipping through my five channels when I saw Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin standing side by side on a gorgeous, glowing, glamorous stage. The visual was stunning. Then, I stopped, I listened, and I actually laughed. The two of them were hilarious! They playfully made fun of everyone, including themselves and the crowd took it well. George Clooney and Morgan Freeman, however, did not look amused at all, ever... Who knows maybe they were having digestive issues. (I recommend Activia)

I have to say, I felt inspired by the speeches and the overall energy of the evening. The first woman ever, won an Oscar for best director! Austrian actor Christoph Waltz won best supporting actor for his first major American movie role at the age of 53. There's hope for me yet people!!! The films that won this year, were films in which people really believed. Avatar was in production for something like ten years!!! That takes dedication!

I think that the Academy Awards served their purpose this year. They created a platform where worthwhile movies of all budgets were showcased. Important messages where communicated, and the glamour of old world Hollywood was resurrected in a time when our country needs it most. Well, if nothing more, it put a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment